Bermuda Fish Chowder (Easy Version)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 4 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white fish fillets
- salt, to taste
- thyme, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 8 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 2 ounces goslings black seal rum (or another good dark rum)
- 4 tablespoons pepper sauce (sherry peppers)
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large pot, put the water, fish fillets, salt, and spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- In a frying pan, melt butter with oil and briefly saute onions, celery, garlic and green peppers. Then add tomatoes and consomme and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to the fish stock and add remaining ingredients. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve soup piping hot and pass around the sherry peppers sauce and black rum to add accordingly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<a href="http://bp-grafix.net/sitebuilder"target=new><img src="http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/glittergus/icons/i.gif" border=0></a> I am a proud mother of three healthy boys aged 15,11 and 5. I'm originally from the tiny island of Bermuda and have been living in Edinburgh since July 2005. I've been collecting recipes since I was about 14 or 15 and been cooking and baking since then as well. I love all kinds of crafts also. In my spare time if I'm not in the kitchen; I crochet, make jewelry, bead, knit, sew, cross stitch, do plastic canvas and quilt. I have a short attention span, so I have plenty of different craft choices when I get bored of doing something. Oh, and I also like to read, listen to music, fiddle with any electronic gadget, collect dvd's and watch them, and I'm an internetaholic! :-) I keep a craft blog at http://hobbyzu.blogspot.com and I sell my crocheted items and patterns at http://hobbyzu.com. I keep pretty busy and being self employed gives me more time to explore cooking! :-) I'm mostly interested in cook books featuring regular old home cooking and favorites. When I moved to the UK I had to get rid of my cookbook collection. I did keep all my Bermudian cookbooks, charity cookbooks and 'The Foods of Israel Today' and Better Homes and Gardens 'Hometown Favorites'. <a href="http://bp-grafix.net/sitebuilder"target=new><img src="http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/glittergus/icons/g5.gif" border=0></a> I am most passionate when it comes to my family and caring for them. Getting to feed them is an added bonus! Lucky for me, my boys are steadily growing pigs with bottomless pits for stomachs! lol :-) <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">