Bella's Butterscotch Fingers
photo by Kater
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula; beat in vanilla, then egg; at low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl; with spoon, stir in pecans.
- Shape dough into a 12" by 3 3/4" by 1" brick.
- Wrap brick in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight until firm enough to slice.
- Or place brick in freezer about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a large cookie sheet; with sharp knife, cut brick crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices; place slices, 1 inch apart, on cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these cookies for PAC Fall '06. I'm usually not a fan of cookies that require chilling (strictly because they make me wait!) but these were super easy to make and I just popped them in the freezer for about an hour to chill. They sliced up nicely and baked up great. I almost used light brown sugar because I didn't have any dark, but I'm glad I went with the dark. These cookies are kind of like butterscotch shortbread - yummy!