Beef Porcupines (Cajun Style)
photo by Irishcolleen
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked (or 1/2 cup spaghetti, broken into small pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons beef base
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- Mix first nine ingredients, well.
- Shape into elongated meatballs.
- In large skillet, brown meatballs on medium high heat.
- Remove from pan. Drain all but one tablespoon of the fat.
- Saute large onion, bell pepper, and garlic until onions are transparent.
- Return meatballs to the pan.
- Mix beef base and 2 - 1/2 cups hot water.
- Slowly pour into skillet over meatballs.
- Heat over high heat until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water.
- Pour over meatballs. Stir.
- Add peas, mushrooms, parsley, and green onion.
- Cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I'm of Irish heritage, with a little bit of American Indian, Spanish, and English in me. I was raised in the heart of Cajun Country, but have traveled extensively in the U.S. and abroad. I'm in the restaurant business and have worked in every aspect of it for the past 35 years. I'm also a Jazz vocalist. My passions in life are singing, gardening, and cooking. I'm in the process of writing a cookbook, as a legacy to my mother, who passed away in 1979, who was a fabulous cook, and who always wanted to write her own cookbook. I have one daughter, and a beautiful granddaughter, who is the love of my life. I can't wait to be able to teach her how to cook and cook with her! Thanks for your interest in me! God bless you and have a wonderful day!