Beef, Elk or Deer Stroganoff
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 3 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ground black pepper
- Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips and then remove from pan.
- Add onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then remove from pan. If there are any juices in the container holding the beef, pour juices back into pan.
- Slowly add flour to the juices and stir.
- Slowly add beef broth to flour and stir until no longer chunky.
- Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and return beef and obions to the pan and stir in mustard.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Reduce temperature to low heat and add sliced mushrooms and worchestershire sauce.
- Add block of cream cheese and cook with lid on for 15 minutes or until
- cheese is melted.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I recently returned to work part time, three days a week as a paralegal for a large defense workers' compensation firm. I have two daughters that are 10 1/2 months apart in age, Kylie and Taylor. My husband is a Captain with the Stockton (CA) Fire Department. I love searching on Recipezaar for recipes to cook and plan my meals around recipes that I find on recipezaar. We have a golden lab.