Batata Merhiya (Algerian Mashed Potatoes Layered With Beef )
From the The Great Book of Couscous by Copeland Marks. Algerian comfort food. Use as a side dish or a main dish with a nice salad.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb potato, peeled, boiled until tender
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- Mash potatoes with butter and salt.
- Heat oil in skillet, add onion, beef and pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Drain beef mixture.
- Butter a 1 quart casserole.
- Put half of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish.
- Add the meat mixture and cover with the remaining mashed potatoes.
- Smooth the surface.
- Cover with the beaten egg and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until the surface is golden about 30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 4 more