Barbados Roast Chicken
This is just a simple roast chicken recipe. From Christmas: a Cook's Tour,
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole chickens
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Rub chicken all over with lemon pieces. Put lemon pieces inside chicken cavity.
- Rub chicken with salt and pepper.
- Combine butter, red pepper, garlic and coriander. Smear over the chicken.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° and roast until juices run clear, approximately 1-1 1/2 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
In all the years that I've been cooking, I've never roasted a chicken. Don't really know why I haven't tried this before, but I sure wish I'd roasted one much sooner! This recipe is so easy and very very tasty! Just the right amount of spice. The three of us just about polished off the whole thing. Picked off the rest of the meat and boiled the carcass for some very tasty broth for soup. Thanks for posting this Chocolatl! Will definitely do this again! Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
Wonderfully moist flavoured chicken. I did cut the ground red pepper for which I used cayenne down per preference here and also skinned the bird prior to smearing the butter spice mixture over top! That cut the problem of not having the butter under the skin like other reviewers had mentioned that they would have liked to do. We mainly prefer chicken without skin. I used a baby chicken so I cut the cooking time down, 10 minutes at 450F and 45 minutes at 375F, I still used a whole lemon but didn't squeezed it all, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, plus the rest. I may make this again. Served with recipe#334110 and recipe#443953. Made for 1~2~3 Hits ~ December 2010.