Banana Brown Betty 1997 Joy
- Ready In:
- Position rack in lover third of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Get 8x8 baking dish, 9 inch pie plate or 10x6 oblong baking dish.
- Stir the graham crumbs, sugar and butter together. Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla bean to a simmer. If using vanilla extract, add last.
- Mix in a bowl the egg, cusgar, flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Remove vanilla bean, if using. Gradually whisk half of the milk into the egg mix. Then mix this back into the milk in the pan.
- Cook, whisking constantly and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan over medium heat until the center bubbles and the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir for another minute to cool. Add vanilla extract now if not using the bean.
- Fold bananas into the hot custard.
- Spoon the banana mixture evenly over the crumbs and cover with the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake until the top has browned and the filling is warm, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for 20 minutes before serving.
- Spoon into bowls and serve.
- You can top with vanilla ice cream, a fresh strawberry sauce or something you like with it.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!