Balsamic Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prick potatoes, then place directly on rack in center of oven.
- Place a piece of foil on rack below.
- Bake until easily pierced with a knife tip, about 50 minutes.
- Or microwave on high until easily pierced, about 25 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel, then pass through a food mill or ricer, or mash with a potato masher.
- (I love my ricer so I go that way) Place milk, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and set on a heat-resistant surface.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed and potatoes have a smooth consistency.
- Taste and add more vinegar, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed.
- The advantage of doing this in a saucepan is that if potatoes have cooled a little, you can return pan to low heat and stir often until hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oops! Forgot to submit my comment along with my rating the first time. I thought this was really good! The balsamic does add a very nice flavor.I only used one sweet potato, so I had to devise my own portions, thus I don't know how this recipe works as is. I also made mine savory by adding minced garlic in place of the cinnamon. I would definitely make this again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Las Vegas. I was lucky enough to run into Recipezaar around Nov. 2000 and got hooked quickly. I am a cookbook collector and have been collecting recipes for as long as I can remember. My DH had to build in shelves for all my cookbooks! I like to dabble with OAMC and for a few years hosted the Budget/OAMC forum with some great people over there. Even though I don't work in the forum any longer I've set up a lot of cookbooks for the purpose of OAMC and stretching food that might be helpful. Please feel free to check them out! I go on food jags and cooking jags! Please come say hi to me and chat on facebook. I currently host a blog for saving money through finding deals and coupons if you are interested. Most of the time I try to cook and have a good dinner on the table but I'll be honest enough to say there is still fast food occasionally in the budget! I have had such wonderful support here whenever I need it. Thank you all for being here! Just a quick note on how I rate recipes: ? 5 stars - This recipe is perfect. (My DH is truly a critic and doesn't give 5's unless it's amazing) I would recommend it to others and would definitely make again. ? 4 stars - This recipe was good but I would change something in it next time. ? 3 stars - This is a recipe I would not make again but it was OK ? 2 stars - This recipe I would not make again and we didn't like it at all ? 1 star - This recipes did not work out/taste was unappealing and wouldn't make again