Baked "ziti" W/ Tofu Shirataki
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 2 (8 ounce) packages tofu shirataki noodles, fettuccine shaped
- 1⁄2 lb ground buffalo meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup 2% mozzarella cheese, shredded & divided
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 8x8 (1.75qt oval is what I use) baking dish; set aside.
- Tofu Noodles: Bring pot of water to boil, add well DRAINED tofu noodles and return to boil. Boil for two minutes and leave to drain in colander until needed. OR just rinse and drain noodles, then microwave for one minute and place in colander to drain while preparing remaining ingredients.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, cook ground meat, onions, green pepper, garlic and black pepper over medium heat until meat is browned; drain fat. Add pasta sauce, crushed red pepper & Italian seasoning (if your sauce isn't seasoned enough) and cook until mixture is hot, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut tofu noodles into manageable pieces. Then add noodles to the sauce mixture and mix well. Stir in 1/4 cup of the Mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, mixing until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses - 1/4 cup of the mozz, 1/4 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup parmesan. Cover with foil (or lid).
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove foil/lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes until edges are bubbly. Allow to stop bubbling before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was very nice. I took A LOT of liberties. First of all, I couldn't find the fettucini noodles, so I used the regular spaghetti type. I think that it would have been better with the noodles the recipe calls for, but it was still good. I also (as the commenters, below) used veggie beef, but I used "Smart Deli" ground beef. I also used fat free and low fat versions of the cheeses. I think it came out great but would definitely go with the fettucini noodles, if I can find them, next time.
This "wowed" us for sure! By coincidence we just had the very fattening version of baked ziti at someone's house and I have to say we both preferred this infinitely more. It would be great with mushrooms and/or spinach if you don't have a bell pepper. We used ground turkey but will try ground buffalo next time. I am addicted to these low carb shirataki noodles and am glad to have found another favorite dish using them. Thanks Brooke!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC12-Brooke.jpg> <br> <br>I have been a member of Zaar for awhile now and found that I love it! I have tried so many recipes and many new foods that I never would have without Zaar. <br> <br>I work full-time at a university in Wisconsin, it allows me to travel a bit and see the rest of the state, I work with a lot a great people and am really happy in my job. <br> <br>When I'm not working, I spend time with my hubby and 12 year old son. My son has picked up my love for cooking, a few of the things he makes are - naan bread, cookies, and quick breads, I'm so proud of him! In our family we also have two cocker spaniels, our puppy Laci (above) and Peanut, that we adore like they were our children. <br> <br>We live in an old farm house that we are remodeling (did the library and the kitchen so far....) on the outskirts of town. Close enough where my hubby can bike to work in the summer, but far enough away from campus that we don't have to lock down our lawn ornaments in fear of college pranks! <br><img src=http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/zwtbanner-small-1.jpg> <br> <img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg> <img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg> <br><img src=http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/mushroombanner-smallpic.jpg> <br><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSCParticipationBanner.jpg> <img src=http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/AdoptATag2-2-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <img src=http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/banner-smalltemp.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap2/group01avocado.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group15watermelon.jpg> <img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CobblerPieTartSTICKER.jpg> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif> <img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/PotLuckSTICKER.jpg> <img src=http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/pelysma/ssb08banner_300.jpg> <img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2545727197_10b4774890.jpg?v=0 alt= Cilantro-May 2008> <img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg> <img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/ZaarStar-AMBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/CV.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <img src=http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/banners/cookathonLorac-1.jpg?t=1217936137> <img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Flourpowersticker.jpg> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/SoupsandsaladSTICKER.jpg>