Baked Macaroni and Cheese With a Crumb Topping
photo by Sassy J
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, heated to simmering
- 1⁄2 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- hot pepper sauce
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Lightly butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Bring a large pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni, stir well, and cook for about 6 minutes.
- The macaroni will still be quite al dente; it will cook further in the oven.
- Do not overcook; drain thoroughly.
- While the pasta is draining, return the pot to the stove, add 4 tablespoons of the butter, and melt over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the flour mixture bubble, whisking occasionally, without browning, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the hot milk, raise the heat to medium, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the cheeses, and stir until the cheeses are melted.
- Return the macaroni to the pot and stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Spread the macaroni evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs.
- Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the crumbs.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the top is browned, about 40 minutes.
- Serve hot, directly from the baking dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!