Baked Macaroni Ala the Joy of Cooking
I've made this for years and the kids still request it... a perennial favorite. When I have left-over ham, I use that too for an especially yummy casserole! NOTE: I've changed the recipe by increasing all amounts to what I actually use to make this dish... not the amounts in the actual cookbook. Servings are an estimate b/c I always plan to have leftovers, which are excellent the next day for lunch!
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces uncooked macaroni
- 4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 -8 eggs
- 2 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pepperidge farm herb stuffing mix (appx)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to pkg directions; drain.
- Place half macaroni in 3-4 qt casserole or 9x13" pan; sprinkle w/ half grated cheddar.
- Top with remaining macaroni; sprinkle w/ remaining cheese.
- Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl til well blended; pour over macaroni and cheese.
- Sprinkle w/ stuffing mix (or bread crumbs of your choice); dot w/ butter; sprinkle w/ remaining cheddar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.