Baked Felafel Sandwich
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pure tahini paste (sesame paste, available at Middle Eastern stores)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons water, plus more if necessary
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 (4 ounce) tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, seeded, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, sliced open
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine all felafel ingredients except 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process for 10 seconds.
- Stop motor and scrape down sides of bowl, then pulse for another 10 seconds, until all ingredients are well incorporated but mixture is still slightly coarse and grainy.
- Form mixture into 16 felafel balls and brush with remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes, flip felafel balls and bake an additional 20 minutes, until felafel balls are crisp and browned.
- Combine tahini, lemon juice and water and stir to incorporate, adding more water to achieve desired consistency. Reserve.
- Toss together lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers in a bowl. Warm pita breads for 2 minutes in oven.
- Fill each pita with 3/4 cup salad, 4 felafel balls and 1/4 cup tahini sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Reviewed for PAC Spring '08: I've never had a falafel before but even though I had nothing to compare it to, I really liked it. The flavors were great, especially the fresh cilantro and the ground cumin. They were a little dry but still delicious. The tahini sauce wasn't my favorite so I think next time I make these, I'll try something different, maybe a cucumber yogurt sauce. Also, I had this like a salad (without the pita) due to a gluten allergy, but I still enjoyed it. Yum! Thank you for posting!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a mother who loves to cook! When I'm able to steal away a few minutes to make up a meal for my family i'm in heaven. Unlike others cooking is relaxing and fun for me. The dishes..ahh who likes doing those, but it's always worth cleaning them for what meal I created.