Aromatic Bahamian Conch Chowder
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup lean ham, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup hot water (I use broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 lb tenderized ground conch
- busha browne's spicy & hot pepper sherry wine or brandy
- Place olive oil, onions, bell peppers, ham and garlic in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, hot water, bay leaf, barbecue sauce, marjoram, sage, thyme, parsley, oregano, salt, cracked and cayenne peppers. Stir to combine ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add conch to the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 to 6 hours or until conch is tender. Lace each individual serving with hot pepper sherry to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!