Bacon Swiss Mac and Cheese
photo by Katie599
- Ready In:
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1. In a large pot boil salted water and cook pasta for 8 minutes then drain and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl mix the milk, broth and flour and whisk until flour is dissolved. Then pour the milk mixture, garlic powder, basil, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper into a sauce pan sprayed with cooking spray and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until milk begins to thicken. Then add the swiss cheese, and parmesan cheese and continue to stir until cheese is melted (around 3 minutes).
- 3. In a small pan sprayed with cooking spray cook the bacon pieces over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until crispy. Then set bacon aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- 4. Combine the pasta and cheese sauce and toss well. Then top with bacon pieces and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!