Avanti's Sweet Bread
This tastes like the bread from Avanti's Italian restaurant in Bloomington Illinois.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (scant)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit, undisturbed for about 10 minutes. You should see little bubbles appear. This tells you that the yeast is active.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, eggs, salt, sugar and water and yeast mixture together till blended.
- Add flour one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Knead till smooth and elastic.
- Let rise till doubled, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- repeat the kneading and rising.
- Punch down.
- Cut dough into 2 pieces.
- Let rise, covered for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 oblong loaves, about 14 inches long.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Cover: let rise again, about 50-60 minutes.
- Cut slash down middle of bread or 3 slashes diagonally on top.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 13 more