Pani Popo (Samoan Sweet Bread)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Mix 2 1/2 cups of flour and yeast.
- In a saucepan heat and stir milk;.
- sugar, shortening, margarine, or butter; and salt til warm and.
- shortening almost melts.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Beat with an electric.
- mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Using a spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can to make a moderately.
- stiff dough that is smooth and easy to pull - 6-8 minutes.
- Shape in a ball and put in a.
- greased bowl.
- Turn it on both sides to grease the whole ball of dough.
- Cover and let rise in the oven on the top rack and below it in a pan put some hot water. (The steam from the hot water will help it to rise) about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll 18 balls and cover for 10 minutes while you make the following milk mixture.
- Mix 2 cans of coconut milk with 1 cup of sugar. (Add more sugar if.
- you like it sweeter.).
- In 2 13x9x2 pans, pour in half of the milk.
- mixture in each pan, put in 9 bread rolls on top (or you can make the.
- rolls smaller to make more rolls).
- Bake at 375 degrees in the oven.
- for 20 minutes or until bread tests done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love these rolls! My boyfriend is Samoan and introduced me to pagi popo one Thanksgiving and I've been hooked ever since. I had never made them until I came aross your recipe. Shared them with some family members and they LOVED them. They especially liked the sweet coconutty part. I did knead the dough a bit too much and the rolls came out a little hard, but it didn't stop anyone from eating them up. :) I will definitely have to make these again. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We love to eat :) I'm an island girl living in Seattle, WA who loves to cook! I enjoy cooking for my family and friends, and I don't find many things more satisfying than sharing food and good memories with them. Plus they always seem to be hungry--perfect! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">