Asian Smoked Turkey
photo by Debbie R.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 1 (13 -16 lb) turkey
- 1⁄4 cup ground coffee
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder (high quality, like Ghiradelli)
- 10 star anise
- Rinse bird inside and out. Lightly pat dry the outside.
- Rub the chocolate and coffee powder all over the skin. Place two star anise inside the cavity and divide the rest among the breast portions and the legs/thighs. Wrap the legs and wings with foil.
- Smoke at 225 degree for 5 - 6 hours or until the bird reaches an internal temp of 180 degrees. Follow your smoker's directions.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. Do not eat the skin. It will be extremely blacked and was there for flavoring the meat, not ingestion itself.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!