Artichokes Steamed in the Microwave
I love fresh artichokes but did not like how long they took to steam until I discovered this procedure. 3 artichokes done in 11 minutes! How easy and quick is that!? This can also be a prelude to grilled or roasted artichokes if you steam half the amount of time in the microwave and then proceed with the other recipes. Great timesaver!
- Ready In:
- Trim the artichokes by cutting off the stem and cutting off the tips of the leaves. *I often cut them in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the choke but you can skip this step.
- Rub the lemon over all the cut parts of the artichokes so it does not brown.
- Place all 3 of the artichokes upside down in a microwaveable dish with a tight fitting lid. *Try a dinner or salad plate on top of your dish if you do not have a lid that exactly fits.
- *I place them upside down so the water is not collected in the artichokes but they can be placed right side up and then squeezed out later.
- Add the water and cover.
- Cook on high for 11 minutes. Check at about 9 minutes since all ovens are not the same, and pierce the hearts with a fork. If they are soft they are done.
- Drain and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I am really confused at what a different result I got than everyone else. For one thing I don't know how you can fit 3 globe artichokes in a microwave safe container with a lid that fits tightly. I have nothing that fits that description. So maybe that was my problem, but what I did was put 2 artichokes in a glass baking dish that is microwave safe, put the water in, and then put another glass baking dish on top as a lid that fit pretty well over - much like the suggestion of putting a plate on top. I cooked for 10 minutes since there were 2 chokes instead of 3, and checked. Not even close. I tried again for 5 more minutes. Not even a dent. So I just put them in a pot of boiling water and I'm going with that. It will probably take a good hour to fully cook them, which is why I wanted to find a quick way. Am I just really stupid, or what? Sorry, it has been a day.Reply
Perfection at last! Prior to following this wonderful recipe, I had tried (unsuccessfully) using the fresh vegie setting which left it undercooked then overcooked it on other occasions. I love artichokes and maybe now that I can cook them perfectly I hope the rest of the family can too! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! You rock!1Reply