Armenian Rice and Noodles
My daughters call this "Noodle Rice" and we have some variation on it several times a month. I've used broken spaghetti, vermicelli, and orzo in place of the egg noodles (choose eggless pasta to be totally vegan...well, duh, you knew that!) I also usually throw in a handful of golden raisins with it and up the water just a bit to account for plumping them up - the kids eat those first! Be creative...substitute a little lemon juice for part of the water if it's going with fish, etc. A nice, reliable add-on to dinner, originally from "Betty Crocker's New Int'l Cookbook."
- Ready In:
- 1 cup fine egg noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Break noodles into small (1") pieces.
- Melt butter in med-large saucepan; cook noodles in butter 5 min, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil, stirring a few times; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 14 min (don't peek!) Remove from heat, fluff with fork.
- Cover and let steam 5-10 min.
- Garnish with snipped parsley if desired.