Arkansas Sweetly Spiced Apple Crumb Pie
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie pastry
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples, 1/2-inch thick (Arkansas Black, Granny Smith)
Brown Sugar and Oat Crumb Topping
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350°; place the pie shell on a sturdy baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves together with your fingertips until blended.
- Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Dump the spiced apple slices into the pie shell, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Topping-place the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda in a bowl; mix gently to break up any lumps of sugar, taking care not to crush the oats.
- Add the butter and gently run the ingredients together with your fingertips to produce a mealy mixture with some lumps that clump together when squeezed in your hand.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the pie, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border uncovered (the topping will cover the entire pie; if you put the crumbs close to the edges, they may run out with any juices that boil over, leaving no topping near the edges).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and the crumb topping is lightly browned all over.
- Let cool before cutting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!