Apple-Maple Breakfast Sausage-Homemade
A little sweet, a little spicy, this breakfast sausage makes great patties, breakfast sandwiches or wraps. This is easy to make, can be tailored to your personal taste, and will cost a fraction of what you will pay for at the grocery store for the same amount.
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 30mins
- 4 lbs lean pork (I buy whole loins)
- 1 lb pork fat (trimmings)
- 5 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, dried
- 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons sage, ground
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, ground
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, ground
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I use smoked)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed, whole
- 1⁄3 cup white wine or 1/3 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut pork into 2 inch pieces and the fat into 1 inch cubes.
- Grind through a 1/4 inch grinding plate.
- You can use a food processor-pulse in SMALL batches.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the wine, maple syrup, lemon juice and salt/spices.
- Whisk well.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the meat and wine/spice mixture.
- Mix well to combine.
- Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- The longer the better.
- Package in 1 pound amounts and freeze.