Apple and Tea Brine, Injected, Rubbed and Deep Fried Turkey
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 -16 lb) whole turkey (completely thawed, not a self basting or kosher, they have to much salt in them)
- 1 cup coarse salt or 1 cup pickling salt
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 4 oolong tea bags
- 2 quarts apple juice
- 1 inch ginger, sliced lengthwise
- 10 whole allspice
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 quarts cold water
Optional Injection liquid
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, slightly smashed skin removed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sage leaves
- cracked black pepper, to season
Optional Dry rub
- 1⁄2 cup dry rub seasonings (I use Cajun Spice Rub Mix Recipe or Sweet and Spicy Dry Rub on Ribs or Salmon)
- In a very large pot (big enough to hold turkey) bring all the brine ingredients but turkey to boil then lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and cool.
- Add washed turkey to cooled apple mixture and cover with ice cold water making sure turkey is completely submerged adding more water if needed.
- Refrigerate for 10 to 15 hours just so the turkey absorbs the brine.
- Meanwhile make injection liquid by adding cup butter, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, sage and cracked black pepper to season in a pot. Bring to a slow simmer for 10 to 15 minutes removing any water for butter and bringing out the flavors of the herbs.
- Cool drain herbs and garlic set aside for placing under the skin of the turkey.
- Remove turkey from brine discard brine and rinse turkey towel dry inside and out.
- Inject dry turkey in breasts and thighs the night before cooking with the butter mixture.
- Take the garlic and herbs that was set aside and place under the skin of the turkey.
- Place the turkey uncovered on a rack in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat peanut oil to 350°F.
- Rub turkey with any oil mixture that escaped while sitting overnight then rub inside and out of turkey with dry rub mixture.
- Tie legs and wings to body with cotton string.
- Lower breast side up into hot oil.
- Be cautious of hot splattering oil.
- Maintain oil temp at 350°F.
- Fry 3 minutes a pound till 180°F.
- Remove from oil and rest for 15 minutes.
- Carve and eat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!