Anne's Braised Chicken Thighs
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, diced
- 2 onions, julienned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, assorted (shitake, oyster, cremini)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock (low or no salt)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep pan over medium high heat.
- Pat chicken skin dry, lightly season with salt and pepper, and add to pan - skin side down.
- When the skin in brown, turn the chicken over and brown the other side. About 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- Drain excess oil, lower heat to medium, add pancetta and brown.
- Add onions, lightly season with salt, crushed red pepper, and cook 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute, then add mushrooms, lightly season with salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to almost cover the chicken, and the bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer and cook about 30-35 minutes. (add more chicken stock or water, if needed.).
- While the chickenis cooking, puree the almonds in a food processor. Drizzle in a little oil while machine is running to make a loose paste.
- Once the chicken has cooked, remove from pan. Stir in the almond puree, bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. I added a spoonfulf of flour (mixed with a little water to make a slurry) to thicken the sauce, and cooked another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!