Anna's Spaghetti and Pesto Trapanese
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 lb cherry tomatoes, very ripe and sweet
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 plump garlic clove, crushed and peeled
- 1⁄3 cup whole almond, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt (more for cooking the pasta) or 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste (more for cooking the pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated grana padano or 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes, and pat them dry; rinse the basil leaves and pat dry.
- Drop the tomatoes into the blender jar or food processor bowl, followed by the garlic, almonds, basil leaves, pepper flakes, and 1/2 t salt.
- Blend for a minute or two to a fine puree; scrape down the bowl, and blend again if any large bits or pieces have survived.
- With the machine still running, pour in the olive oil in a steady stream, emulsifying the puree into a thick pesto.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning.
- Heat 6 quarts water with 1 T salt to the boil in a large pot.
- Scrape all the pesto into a big warm bowl.
- Cook the spaghetti al dente, lift it from the cooking pot; drain briefly, and drop onto the pesto.
- Toss quickly to coat the spaghetti, sprinkle the cheese all over, and toss again.
- Serve immediately in warm bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!