ANGEL FOOD CAKE
photo by shazzieau
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar, divided in half
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- preheat oven to 160 Celsius.
- in a small bowl, sift together 3/4 cup sugar and the cake flour. Set aside.
- beat egg whites until just frothy, then add cream of tartar and salt.
- beat until till just combined then add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in 4 additions.
- once all the sugar has been added, beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- once you have soft peaks, add the vanilla and beat for a few seconds.
- fold in the flour/sugar mix in 6 additions, sifting it over the egg mix each addition.
- spoon batter into an UNGREASED 9 inch tube tin with a removeable bottom. level the top with a spatula and tap the pan on a bench once or twice to remove air bubbles.
- cook for 40 - 50 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- remove from oven and turn tin upside down on a wire rack. leave UPSIDE DOWN to cool completely.
- to remove cake, gently run a thin knife around the sides and centre of tin. push the bottom up to remove cake.
- place upside down on a plate and use the knife to remove rest of tin.
- decorate as desired. I used whipped cream, sliced banana and fresh passionfruit.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just a wife and mother who loves to cook. I still have kids living at home but the others are always here for meals too.I feel like I never get out of the kitchen. If only some one would clean up after me.