Amaranth Leaves Spinach in Coconut Milk
photo by AcadiaTwo
- Ready In:
- Bring water and salt to the boil in a large pot.
- Add washed amaranth leaves and boil for 15 minutes or until tender.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and cook the chopped onion until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add the well drained amaranth leaves and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning or add lemon juice to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I wish to enter the recipes used in my home town. Collect 01 Kg fresh leaves of amaranth from the plant smaller than 10" height. Wash the leaves at least thrice and let the water fully drained. Cut the leaves at least into 5 peaces. Boil the leaves for 10 minutes and drain the water again. Fry one large C hoped large onion in 100 grams butter until the onion turns to half brown, put one table spoon Garlic paste and fry it until it turns to light brown. Put 5 chopped green chilies, half tablespoon white cumin seeds, one tablespoon salt, half tablespoon red chilies powder and half teaspoon turmeric powder ( all in the same sequence) and fry it for one minute on low flame. Add one cup of Yogurt duly mashed and keep frying until the water is dry. Add the well drained boiled leaves of amaranth and mix well and fry for 5 minutes. urn the burner to the lowest heat, cover to stir for 15 minutes. Now it will be ready to serve.
Pretty delicious. I'd never tried Amaranth before, but when it was on super sale at my local asian market, I gave it a try. My boyfriend even liked this dish. A question? Can you tell me where the recipe came from? I've never had anything like this before. I'm also amazed that there are no herbs used for flavoring. Very different. Thanks for posting this recipe.