Alton Brown's Lentil Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped finely)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (chopped finely)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped finely)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lb lentils (culled & rinsed)
- 1 cup tomatoes (peeled & cubed)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grains of paradise (ground)
- with salt, sweat the onion, carrot, and celery in hot olive oil.
- add the broth, tomatoes, lentils and seasonings.
- bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and cover, cooking about 35-45 minutes.
- blend if desired (I do not blend).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is so yummy and quick! From beginning to end it only took an hour and a half. I followed the recipe, but doubled all the spices(found grains of paradise at whole foods). At the end I blended it a little with my immersion blender, then topped it with some yogurt and fresh lemon juice. My meat and potatoes husband had THREE bowls! Even our little one enjoyed it very much. This recipe made a lot of soup, so before I blended it I packed up half to store in the freezer (Alton said to keep the lentils whole if freezing).