Almost Paleo Brownies
photo by ac842199
- Ready In:
- 12 organic roasted and shelled chestnuts
- 6 pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup granulated Splenda sugar substitute (optional -- substitute more dates, honey, or maple syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup black cocoa powder (may substitute with dutch-processed cocoa)
- 1⁄4 cup organic coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1 ounce 85% dark chocolate squares (optional)
- 6 tablespoons organic unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin cold-pressed coconut oil
- 3⁄4 cup plain seltzer water
- 2 extra-large organic free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a small (2 qt) glass baking dish with parchment.
- In a food processor, blend the chestnuts with the dates until the mixture reaches a slightly damp, mealy flour-like consistency.
- Add the chestnut/date mixture to a bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended, breaking up any larger chunks of cocoa with the whisk.
- Roughly chop the dark chocolate squares into chunks and mix with the dry ingredients.
- Melt the butter and coconut oil and add, along with the remaining wet ingredients, to the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until evenly blended.
- Pour/spread into parchment in pan and bake (upper rack) for 25 min or until fork inserted into center only has a little batter on it.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!