All American Steak Sandwich
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 -3 fingerling potatoes, sliced thin (or use 1 large potato)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 rolls (sub style)
- 2 slices swiss cheese (or your favorite)
vegetables and meat
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 lb beef tips, kept thin (sliced as needed to keep them thin)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 portabella mushroom, cap sliced
- SAUCE: Mix all sauce ingredients well, cover and set aside.
- POTATOES: Heat oil in a skillet to 350°F Add sliced potatoes and fry, turning occasionally, until done (about 7-10 min). Drain potatoes on paper towels, and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- ROLLS: To the pan with oil, reduce heat to medium and add the butter. When melted, add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until garlic is tender.
- Place the cut side of the rolls face down into the garlic butter. Press gently to coat. Place rolls onto a baking sheet, butter side up. Broil in oven or toaster oven until nicely browned and toasted. Remove from broiler and set rolls onto plates. Add a slice of Swiss cheese to the bottom bun.
- VEGETABLES: To the pan over medium-high heat, add the peppers and onions. Cover and let steam 2-3 minutes. Remove lid, stir, and continue cooking until onions are translucent and peppers done. Place vegetables in a dish and set aside.
- MEAT: To the pan add a bit more olive oil and butter if necessary. (enough to sear steak). Add seasoned steak and let sear for 2-3 minutes. Toss and continue searing until almost desired doneness. Add mushrooms to pan and saute' for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are browned and flavored with the meat juices. Drain meat and mushrooms onto a paper towel.
- ASSEMBLY: To each bottom bun, add the meat, then vegetables, then potatoes. To the top bun, spread with sauce and place over top. Grab lots of napkins, a fork (to catch what falls on the plate), and enjoy.
- ALTERNATIVE: Wrap sandwich in foil and eat 'to go' style.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great use of contest ingredients, good luck in the Contest its an awesome sandwich. Loved this sandwich, it was so flavorful and had amazing textures. The sauce was so good, it complimented all the ingredients perfectly. The sandwich was fresh and delicious, the meat was tender, the vegetables were perfectly cooked and the potatoes were a delicious addition. This was definitely worth the extra effort. I can't wait to make this again.