Algerian Farina Rolls
These small Algerian rolls give an extra touch to any meal. The prep time includes resting time for the dough.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water, lightly salted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup farina (cream of wheat)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking spray
- Mix the yeast with 1/4 cup of salted water. Let the yeast rest until it rises & becomes bubbly, roughly 5 minutes.
- Place the flour, farina, & salt in a large bowl then stir in the olive oil. Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients & stir. Slowly add 1/2 cup of water, stirring well to combine all the ingredients. Make sure you get rid of any lumps.
- Cover the dough in a clean damp cloth & let it rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Optional: Brown the sesame seeds on a pan in a hot oven for 2 minutes before using, this enhances their flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix the seeds into the dough, stirring gently. Place small amounts of dough in the shape of balls (roughly 15) on the baking sheet. Brush lightly with the egg & bake for 20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION