Albondigas Con Picada De Almendra (Meatballs in an Almond Sauce)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 6 ounces ground veal
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 strands saffron
- 2 tablespoons almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons peas (fresh or frozen)
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, veal, garlic, breadcrumbs, spices, egg and season with salt and pepper. Mix by hand until the mixture is smooth and leaves the side of the bowl. Refrigerate covered for one hour.
- When ready to cook, roll tablespoons of the mixture into small 1-inch balls.
- Heat one tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and brown half the meatballs on medium-high heat (3 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- Add the remaining oil, if necessary, and brown the other half of the meat balls. Drain on paper towels. Set aside the meatballs while making the sauce.
- Lower the heat and add onion. Cook until golden and caramelized. Add tomato and cook for one minute. Stir in the wine, broth and add the bay leaf. Add the meatballs back to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine parsley, garlic, 1/8 tsp salt, saffron, almonds and paprika in a blender or mini-food processor. Pulverize into a paste. Add this mixture, along with the peas, to the meatballs and cook for 15 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!