A Wheat Krispies Treat
photo by Geniale Genie
- Ready In:
- 8 cups puffed wheat cereal
- 6 cups marshmallows (about 40 large ones)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Measure out cereal; set aside.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with wax paper or with greased plastic wrap. Prepare a second sheet for the top. Grease a wooden spoon.
- In a LARGE* microwavable bowl, melt butter - about 30 seconds.
- Turn the bowl in order to coat sides with melted butter.
- Add milk and vanilla; return to the microwave. Heat until marshmallows are huge and puffed-up (watch that they don't overflow) - about 2 or 3 minutes.
- With your greased spoon, stir until marshmallows are well mixed with butter, milk, and vanilla - there should be no lumps (it looks like marshmallow cream).
- Incorporate puffed wheat, making sure to coat all the cereal.
- Pour into prepared pan; cover with second piece of wax paper. Press FIRMLY into pan.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- With the help of the paper, lift out and place on a cutting board or counter top; remove top layer of paper. Using a sharp, wet knife, cut into squares. If knife starts sticking, just re-wet it.
- Serve, making sure to remove any paper from the bottom.
- Keep refrigerated.
- * If you don't have a large enough microwavable bowl, you can put the puffed wheat into a regular bowl and pour the melted marshmallow over top. You will need a bowl containing at least 2 quarts to prevent marshmallows from spilling over.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!