Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
The skin of this chicken makes a natural pocket to hold the stuffing mixture in. This is a great recipe for a dinner party, quite easy to make, and very delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 slices bread, torn into coarse crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- salt & fresh ground pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin left on
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a skillet, melt butter; saute onion, parsley and basil until onion is tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic (if using) zucchini and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in bread crumbs, egg, cheese salt and pepper.
- Carefully loosen the skin if chicken on one side to form a pocket.
- Stuff each chicken breast with the zucchini mixture then place in a greased dish.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
I made this with turkey tenderloin. I butterflied the tenderloin, pounded it out, and stuffed it with the stuffing, then wrapped bacon around it. I cooked it a little longer, but it came out wonderfully tender and tasty. I'll be putting this on my rotation list.
SO, SO Good! It's really too bad more people haven't rated this recipe. It really is a keeper. My husband isn't a swiss fan, so I used cheddar and the stuffing was incredible! I will definitely be making this again and again!!
My boyfriend found this recipe over a year ago and we make it quite often. It's fairly easy to make and it's great reheated the next day.