Recipe by Faux Chef Lael
This was a real hit with my family! This recipe will make a large pan of casserole, so you may want to cut it in half. It's a great, savory meal all by itself, but it would also make a nice side dish for the holidays or be perfect for a pot luck. I made it in the middle of the winter for a cozy dinner side, and used up some shredded zucchini that I had frozen from the garden. To make it a little healthier, try substituting low-fat or fat-free ingredients.
Top Review by dakotah
This was delicious:) But beware it is a very extra extra large pan. I did how every, put the cheese in mine. I also used my zucchini that was from my garden and only put 5 link of sweet Italian sausage because that was in a package. Thank you for sharing Chef # 220151
- 1892.72 ml zucchini, coarsely shredded (do not squeeze out juice!!)
- 8 link sweet Italian sausage (removed from casings or use bulk, approx 1.5 lbs)
- 118.29 ml butter
- 283.49 g carrots, shredded (appprox 2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 340.19 g herb seasoned stuffing mix (2 boxes, I used Pork Stove Top)
- 304.75 g can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 304.75 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup (can also use cream of celery or broccoli)
- 473.18 ml sour cream
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line your largest baking pan with heavy duty foil or lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Preheat a skillet on medium high, add all the butter and let it melt, do not brown. Saute the onions and carrots until the carrots are translucent but not mushy. Pour into a large mixing bowl. There will be a lot of melted butter in the onion mixture, this is necessary for the stuffing.
- Using same skillet, crumble and brown the sausage (be sure to remove the casings). drain off the grease and add to the onion mix.
- To the bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and stir well. You will not need to add any water.
- Move the mixture to prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 for one hour or until golden brown on top. If using optional cheese, add to the top in the last 5-10 minutes of baking, Cheese should be fully melted before serving.
- You may make this ahead and freeze, or freeze in portions after it is already baked.