1/2 Photos of Zucchini Sausage Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
Faux Chef Lael's Note:
This was a real hit with my family! This recipe will make a large pan of casserole, so you may want to cut it in half. It's a great, savory meal all by itself, but it would also make a nice side dish for the holidays or be perfect for a pot luck. I made it in the middle of the winter for a cozy dinner side, and used up some shredded zucchini that I had frozen from the garden. To make it a little healthier, try substituting low-fat or fat-free ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups zucchini, coarsely shredded (do not squeeze out juice!!)
- 8 links sweet Italian sausage (removed from casings or use bulk, approx 1.5 lbs)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 10 ounces carrots, shredded (appprox 2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 12 ounces herb seasoned stuffing mix (2 boxes, I used Pork Stove Top)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup (can also use cream of celery or broccoli)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1Line your largest baking pan with heavy duty foil or lightly spray with cooking spray.
- 2Preheat a skillet on medium high, add all the butter and let it melt, do not brown. Saute the onions and carrots until the carrots are translucent but not mushy. Pour into a large mixing bowl. There will be a lot of melted butter in the onion mixture, this is necessary for the stuffing.
- 3Using same skillet, crumble and brown the sausage (be sure to remove the casings). drain off the grease and add to the onion mix.
- 4To the bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and stir well. You will not need to add any water.
- 5Move the mixture to prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 for one hour or until golden brown on top. If using optional cheese, add to the top in the last 5-10 minutes of baking, Cheese should be fully melted before serving.
- 6You may make this ahead and freeze, or freeze in portions after it is already baked.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.4
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 1435.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 18.5 g