Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From The Runner's Cookbook printed in 1979. (Used to run!) My ex-dog chewed up my original copy of this book, and recently I was able to buy a used copy. This is one of my favorite recipes from it. I usually double the recipe when making this because 3 servings are just not enough! Prep time includes making the rice.
- 1 lb fresh zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese, to pass around
- Cook zucchini in boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes; drain well.
- Brown the ground beef with onions and garlic until meat has lost it's pink color and onions are opaque; drain fat.
- Stir in seasoning,rice, and tomato sauce.
- Beat egg in a mixing bowl.
- Blend in cottage cheese.
- Put half the zucchini slices in a greased shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Spoon on beef mixture.
- Spread cottage cheese over beef.
- Top with remaining zucchini.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and casserole is bubbly.
- Serve with Parmesan if desired.