Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this on line yet to try! A Spicy Yemenite condiment,(Pronounced Zzzz-Hoog, One Syllable) good for soups, stews, or spread on toast when your MIL comes to visit. Also very nice stirred into chicken soup when you have a bad sinus cold. This version is from Claudia Roden's New Book of Middle Eastern Food (Penguin, 1985).
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 strong dried hot peppers (soaked in water 1 hour)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic (peel)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves (remove stems)
- Grind and blend all ingredients into a paste.
- Keeps for quite a while in a tightly closed jar with a layer of oil spread over the top.
We enjoyed this as a dip for bread. I plan to use this in a soup recipe that I have been planning to make! Thanks Rita!
This was good, we served these with pita wedges. I love garlic!! If you like garlic and coriander you will enjoy this