1/11 Photos of Yule Log (Buche De Noel) Mccall's Cooking School
I cut this recipe out of the December 1973 (the month my DS was born) issue of McCall's magazine. If you're a chocolate lover and love to impress people with your artistry, this is the recipe for you! A lot of directions but don't be intimidated, it's actually quite easy. And my kids LOVE it! (Cooking time does not include chilling times.) EDITED TO ADD: After seeing all these lovely photos, I feel like my more simple version looks "under dressed"... I sprinkle powdered sugar over the un-iced "log" and serve whipped cream on the side of each slice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 egg whites, room temperature (appx 1 hr)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 0.25 ml salt
- confectioners' sugar
- 354.88 ml heavy cream, chilled
- 118.29 ml confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 9.85 ml instant coffee
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- candied cherry
- 1Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1" jelly roll pan; line w/ waxed paper; grease slightly.
- 2Preheat oven to 375.
- 3In a lg electric mixer bowl, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are slowly lifted.
- 4Add 1/4 c sugar, 2 T at a time, beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly lifted.
- 5With the same beaters, beat yolks at high speed, adding remaining 1/2 c sugar, 2 T at a time; beat until mixture is very thick, appx 4 minutes.
- 6At low speed, beat in cocoa, vanilla, salt, just until smooth.
- 7With wire whisk or rubber spatula, gently fold cocoa mixture into egg whites just until blended (no egg whites should show).
- 8Spread evenly in pan.
- 9Bake 15 minutes, just until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- 10Sift confectioner's sugar in a 15x10" rectangle on a clean linen towel.
- 11Turn cake out on sugar; lift off pan; peel paper off cake.
- 12Roll up cake jelly-roll-fashion, starting with the short end towel and all.
- 13Cool completely on rack, seam side down.
- 14FILLING: Combine ingredients in medium bowl.
- 15Beat with electric mixer until thick; chill.
- 16TO ASSEMBLE: Unroll cake; spread with filling to 1" from edge; reroll.
- 17Place, seam side down, on plate.
- 18Cover loosely with foil.
- 19Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- 20TO SERVE: Sprinkle yule log w/ confectioner's sugar and decorate with red candied cherries and green angelica "leaves". If you can't find angelica, use cut up green candied cherries.
- 21NOTE:You may make the Yule Log up to a week ahead and freeze, wrapped in foil. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yule Log (Buche De Noel) Mccall's Cooking School
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.3
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 148.5 mg
- Sodium 67.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g