Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Terrific, after work, almost meatless, meal. Omit the bacon and it's vegetarian. Omit the bacon, butter and Parmesan and it's vegan. Add a little cream or 1/2 & 1/2 to make it richer. An easy to play with recipe. I especially love the pine nuts in this and usually add more.
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms or 1⁄2 lb white button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon truffle oil (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti to al dente per package instructions, in salted water.
- While spaghetti is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add bacon.
- Cook, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water; transfer pasta to a large bowl.
- Pour enough of the pasta water into the mushroom mixture to make a sauce; cook, stirring, to dislodge any flavorful browned bits from the pan, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the butter.
- Add mushroom mixture to the pasta; toss.
- Sprinkle with parsley and pine nuts.
- Drizzle truffle oil over the pasta; toss.
- Pass the grated cheese at the table.
I love bacon so used 5 slices of turkey bacon as they are so thin sliced. Then to really make it a meal, added 1 1/2c frozen peas while cooking down the sauce. Covered them with a lid and were thawed in a moment. What a super meal-in-one. And i'm not crazy about shitakes. Thanks for providing us with a quick very tasty meal!
This is a delicious recipe -- especially with the shiitakes. I also added some sauteed onion. And upping the bacon to about 6 pieces didn't hurt either. It's a really beautiful dish, too. The rich mushroom color and bright green parsley are wonderful, and the butter gives it a wonderful glossy look. Exceptional recipe!