Recipe by Annacia
Not only is this lightly spiced salad wholesome and utterly delicious on its own, but it also lends itself to many other serving ideas. Wrap it up in lettuce leaves or tortillas, stuff it into lettuce-lined pita bread, hollowed out tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, or mound on spears of endive. Try leftovers for lunch.
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pistachio nuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heatproof bowl, combine couscous, raisins, cinnamon, allspice and turmeric .
- Pour in 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water; cover and let stand until absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Let cool.
- Add chickpeas, red pepper, green onions, pistachios, vinegar, mint, salt and pepper; toss with fork to combine.
- Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.