Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A low-calorie, low-fat biscuit option.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; stir in oil.
- Add buttermilk and stir to form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour your hands and knead dough in bowl 1 minute.
- Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick; cut into 20 squares.
- Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I tried this recipe twice becuase I thought maybe I did something wrong the first time. It is impossible to knead, roll out, or cut the dough, because it's too runny. The first time I added flour; the second time I just did drop biscuits. Both times they were heavy and had very little taste.
These were ok - def. needs a touch of salt - otherwise you end up SLATHERING on the butter and that sort of defeats this biscuits purpose! These were def. not flakey - but were easy to throw together...I'll keep looking for now. Thanks!
I enjoyed these, although I think next time, I'll add a pinch or two of salt so I don't have to add so much salted butter. While not a flaky biscuit, they were nice and easy to make, with a nice nuitty flavor.