1 hr 30 mins
One of my favorite combinations- Chicken and wine. Serve this with a baguette for dipping. From Sunset Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (1/4 lb.)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups peeled baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/3 cups Chardonnay wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley sprig
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh tarragon sprig
- 1In a plastic bag, shake flour with 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoons pepper, and the herbes de Provence; set aside.
- 2In a 5- to 6-qt. pan over medium-high heat, brown bacon, stirring occasionally, 6 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1-in. chunks, then shake half at a time in flour to coat.
- 3With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon from pan to paper towels. Brown half the chicken in bacon fat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding oil to pan. Meanwhile, cut carrots in half lengthwise and cut celery into diagonal slices. Chop onion.
- 4Add vegetables to pan with remaining salt and pepper and sauté until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave wine and broth until steaming, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add broth mixture, chicken, and bacon to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop parsley and tarragon. Stir them into stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Wine Coq Au Vin
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.7
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 769.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 40.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence
fresh tarragon sprigs