Recipe by Rubies
This is from the King Arthur website and is for a loaf made with white whole wheat. These directions are for a 1 1/2 pound loaf, but you can adjust to a 1-pound or a 2-pound loaf based on the flour/liquid/yeast proportions your bread machine requires. I am posting this recipe here b/c this is our go-to bread recipe (I typically make a couple of loaves a week) and I wanted easy access to it in my Zaar Cookbook.
Top Review by mawil1013
I followed the directions exactly, but I weighed out the flour using servings size on flour bag. The flour I used was King Arthur White Whole Wheat, used granulated sugar. Set up the Breadman bread machine as prescribed. Amazing! Flippin Amazing! The loaf lifted spectacularly, the sliced bread was supple, soft, yet tough. The loaf came out perfect and I strongly recommend others try out this recipe! My wife had no idea it was 100% whole wheat using the white wheat. Next time I'm adding milled flax as suggested. She thought it was Cornell bread recipe I'b been using with standard bread flour. The loaf was just a wee bit too fluffy and next time I'll either reduce the Vital Wheat Gluten and/or reduce the yeast, but only a very slight reduction.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive or veggie)
- 1⁄4 cup artificial sweetener (honey or maple syrup or sugar)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (may take up to 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients in bread pan.
- May add an optional 1/4 c of seeds (such as sesame, sunflower, or flax, or a combination). Sometimes I also add 1/4 c of wheat germ, oat bran or wheat bran instead of flax seeds.
- Program for basic white bread.
- Press start.
- 3 hours cooking time is based on a 1 1/2 pound white loaf with a light crust in my bread machine. Baking time will vary according to settings you choose on your machine.