1 hr 42 mins
1 hr 30 mins
American Pie, Peter Reinhart. Use fresh shucked clams such as manila, cherrystone, or littlenecks OR canned whole baby clams, drained. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven is credited with inventing this pizza.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup herb oil (Herb Oil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces clams
- 1 (10 ounce) neo-neapolitan pizza dough (Neo-Neapolitan Pizza Dough)
- flour, for dusting the peel
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (full fat)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese or 1/2 cup asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1Place a baking stone on the middle shelf of the oven and preheat on the highest setting for at least 1 hour.
- 2While oven is preheating, in a bowl, combine the Herb Oil and lemon juice; stir in the clam meat to coat; cover and marinated in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 3Shape the dough ball to a diameter of about 12 inches; the dough should be very thin, about 1/8 inch thick, nearly translucent and slightly thicker toward the edge.
- 4Transfer the dough to a pizza peel that has been dusted with flour.
- 5In another bowl, stir the 2 cheeses together; distribute the cheeses over the dough; spread the clam and oil mixture evenly over the cheese.
- 6Sprinkle the surface evenly with salt and pepper.
- 7Carefully slide pizza from the peel onto the baking stone; bake about 10-12 minutes.
- 8When done, the crust should be crisp and slightly charred on the edge and the cheese should be fully melted and just beginning to caramelize to a rich gold.
- 9The underside of the crust should be brown and crisp, not white and soft.
- 10Remove the finished pizza from the oven and immediately sprinkle the parsley over the top.
- 11Let pizza cool for about 3 minutes before slicing and serving.
- 12*You can make other seafood pizzas in the same way—use raw squid, shirmp, bay scallops (whole) or sea scallops (cut in half), or any combination.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Clam Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 115.1 mg
- Sodium 2167.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 48.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: