Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious meatless banh mi sandwich from David Tanis' "One Good Dish".
Make and share this Vietnamese Vegetable Baguette (Banh Mi) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup julienned peeled carrot
- 1⁄2 cup julienned peeled daikon radish
- 1⁄2 cup julienned peeled cucumber
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped serrano peppers or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh Thai chile
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bean sprout, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons slivered scallions
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- 8 mint leaves, torn
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 fresh baguette
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 firm ripe Hass avocado, thickly sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- Put the julienned carrots, daikon, and cucumber in a medium bowl and season with ½ teaspoon salt and the brown sugar. Add the fish sauce and chile, toss well and let marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add the bean sprouts, scallions, basil, mint, and a squeeze or two of lime juice to the julienned vegetables. Split the baguette lengthwise and line the bottom half with the lettuce leaves and cilantro sprigs. Spoon the vegetables into the loaf.
- Distribute the avocado and eggs evenly, salt lightly add the top half of the baguette, and press down gently. Cut into 4 sandwiches.