1 hr 2 mins
An Alton Brown original. I have not yet made this, but plan to. These looked amazing on his show!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb firm tofu
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- bowl water, plus additional water for steamer
- 35 -40 small wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil cooking spray, for the steamer
- 1Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- 2Cut the tofu in half horizontally and lay between layers of paper towels. Place on a plate, top with another plate, and place a weight on top (a 14-ounce can of vegetables works well). Let stand 20 minutes.
- 3After 20 minutes, cut the tofu into 1/4-inch cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Add the carrots, cabbage, red pepper, scallions, ginger, cilantro, soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil, egg, salt, and pepper. Lightly stir to combine.
- 5To form the dumplings, remove 1 wonton wrapper from the package, covering the others with a damp cloth.
- 6Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with water.
- 7Place 1/2 rounded teaspoon of the tofu mixture in the center of the wrapper. Shape as desired.
- 8Set on a sheet pan and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat procedure until all of the filling is gone.
- 9Using a steaming apparatus of your choice, bring 1/4 to 1/2-inch of water to a simmer over medium heat.
- 10Spray the steamer's surface lightly with the non-stick vegetable spray to prevent sticking.
- 11Place as many dumplings as will fit into a steamer, without touching each other. Cover and steam for 10 to 12 minutes over medium heat.
- 12Remove the dumplings from the steamer to a heatproof platter and place in oven to keep warm.
- 13Repeat until all dumplings are cooked.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Steamed Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (845 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.8
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 135.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 1.6 g