Adina Cappell's Note:
The sauteed onions and garlic are the key to making this dish so delicious. Feel free to add mushrooms or zucchini to the saute pan- just don't add any veggies directly to the baking pan without sauteeing them first or the flavor and texture will suffer.
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb rigatoni pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil (or 1/4 cup fresh, shredded)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Cook the ziti to just before al dente.
- 2Coat a 9'x12" baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- 3In a skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion until translucent.
- 4Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Don't let the garlic brown.
- 5Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the skillet. Add in the juice from the can.
- 6Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- 7In a large bowl mix the ricotta and mozarella cheeses.
- 8Add the parsley, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper, a few grinds of pepper, and mix.
- 9Add the tomato-onion mixture and mix well.
- 10When the ziti is drained add to the cheese mixture and toss well to coat the pasta.
- 11Spoon the mixture into the baking dish.
- 12Sprinkle the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on top of the pasta.
- 13Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 14Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 936.7
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 89.5 mg
- Sodium 725.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 40.9 g