Recipe by hipbonez
If your not vegan, just use your normal versions of the vegan ingredients.
Top Review by neglka
I really liked some parts of this recipe but didn't care for the torte cake at all. I found the cake to be tasteless and cardboard-like so I used a different vegan chocolate cake recipe. But the peanut butter filling and ganache are right on. My family, vegan and nonvegans, just loved it. It's like eating a Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter cup but better.
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (white or evaporated cane juice will also work)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk (shake well before using)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
Peanut Butter Layer
- 5 tablespoons margarine, softened (earth balance)
- 1 cup peanut butter, smooth
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (estimated, see below directions)
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk (may need a tad less)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (ghiradelli are vegan, and you may need more or less.)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the torte; start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the soy milk and apple sauce next and mix well.
- Pour into a 9" spring pan (bottom lined with parchment paper, sides lightly greased) and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let the torte cool.
- While it's cooling, start the peanut butter layer.
- Cream together the margarine and peanut butter. Add the powdered sugar in small amounts.
- Next add the soy milk in small amounts to lubricate the mixture, using as much as needed. (Do not make it liquidy, just smooth enough to handle).
- Spread the peanut butter on the top of the torte only. Peanut butter should be stiff.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator while preparing the ganache.
- For the ganache, put the margarine and soy milk in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- While hot, add the chocolate chips and stir until melted and mixture become the color of the chocolate chips.
- Remove the torte from the fridge and pour ganache over the top and side of the torte.
- Serve with melted ganache, or return to the refrigerator to chill.