Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Haven't made this yet, but have been searching online for a bundt pan maraschino cherry cake and found this one on "baking911.com" after requesting.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup margarine (2 sticks) or 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 ounces water
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter-nut flavoring, see note
- Cream shortening and butter until fluffy. Add sugar and salt. Beat in one egg at a time.
- Combine evaporated milk and water (to equal one cup total).
- Add flour and milk mixture alternately, ending with flour. Add flavorings, chopped nuts and the maraschino cherries.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Place cake in a cold oven. Bake at 325 degrees until done-.
- Remove cake from pan while still warm. Ice as desired.
- Note: The flavoring might be a bit difficult to find, but can be ordered online from the Superior Prod. Co. Charlotte N.C. as llangrove's review of Aug. 17th 2010 states. (Thank you llangrove for that information!).
I wish I could rate with 100 stars! My family has been baking this cake for 40 years.
It's wonderful! The flavoring might be a bit difficult to find, but can be ordered online from the Superior Prod. Co. Charlotte N.C. This is a superb alternative to the traditional style Christmas fruit cake, as many do not like the glazed fruit. I confess, I use 2 jars of drained maraschino cherries. Remember to start baking in a COLD oven! A wonderful recipe, Lorraine3 !