Us Army Tamale Pie 1940s 1950s
- Sausage can be hot or mild.
- Combine all ingredients except corn meal, milk, and eggs in 5 or 6 quart pan.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn meal, milk, and eggs.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes, stirring often, since it can stick.
- Pour into 2 greased (or sprayed) baking dishes (9x13 ish; this isn't critical; it can be in slightly smaller ones, but baking time may be slightly longer)
- Bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes, until well set. Let sit for 5 minutes or so before cutting. Consistency should be just slightly less firm than cornbread.